Tuesday, December 12

reading Everything I Have Is Blue by Wendell Rickets

I'm reading Everything I Have Is Blue: Fiction by Working Class Men About More Or Less Gay Life. I'm about 5 stories in. They have a different texture than other short stories I've read lately, especially different from the gay stories I've been reading. (Although, to be fair, I've been reading mostly queer sf and queer erotica.) But the politics that manifest in these textures from Blue are maybe what is catching me. So many of the stories I've read in the last few weeks have worldviews and politics that are narrow and heterocentric. I want to read some queer stuff, not just stuff about "queers," i.e. "homosexuals." And Everything I Have Is Blue might have some.
Already, too, I recognize the feelings in the pieces I've read as emotionally verifiable in a working class gay sort of way. But there have been some token figures of poor life. I have no doubt that the emotions expressed in these figures are reliable, and honest--and maybe that's what gives it the extra texture I wasn't finding in all those queer sf and horror stories that were written by straight identifieds and in the sex negative erotica--but the token working class figures aren't always as nuanced as they could be.

No comments: